Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Slow Play

I play poker. There's a term in poker called slow play. Slow playing is not betting a great hand in hopes to keep others in the game and building the pot. Well, in Texas Hold 'em, allowing people more time can come back and haunt you. It's quite possible to allow someone to catch a better hand than yours. In that case it would have been better to bet the good hand early to force the hand to end and collect the smaller pot. When I see someone lose because of slow play I always comment "Slow play equals no pay".

I have discovered that slow play equals no pay in Penny Auctions(PA) also. My strategy here is to let others spend their bids before I start spending mine. I pay close attention to who is bidding and how much. I actually keep a log on a piece of paper. When it gets to sniping time you can tell who's still in when the timer gets to 1 and people jump on the bid button. When there are still 3 or 4 people bidding during sniping moments I lay off. This is where learning each person's habits come in handy. I notice people who always jump in and others who are doing the same as me. So far this strategy has failed. I've got to where I can feel the other bidders are starting to wear out and it's time to start bidding with aggression. The problem I'm having is learning to be aggressive early enough. Every single time I've gone through this process I've let it go to long and no one jumps in to keep the auction alive.

I've also learned that you need to know how long the server takes to process your bid. On Beezid I've had  no problem bidding when the counter gets to GOING. That responsiveness is a major feature I will be looking for in the PA sites. Bidblink is a different story. I have had problems getting my bid in even with 3 seconds left on the counter. That is frustrating. I'm sure it has to do with how much money Beezid has spent on their servers compared to Bidblink. The way I see it, it's like driving a vehicle. The brake is always something you have to figure out right away so you know how to stop safely. The bid button is the same. Figure out early if there are lag problems with your PA site's bid button and adjust your sniping accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment